Wandering the City

1:10 PM 0 Comments

As I've been getting settled in, I've had a little extra time to wander around the city looking for Snowden. I've been getting familiar with the metro system, too. Usually it isn't very exciting, but the other day there was an accordion player on the train. I also took this picture on one of my very first train rides (I guess he must have escaped from Sochi):


I made my way to Gorky Park to look around. It was a weekday, so there wasn't much to see, but it's a beautiful park - even in the winter. This was part of the park's entrance:


There was a really cool spaceship at the park on the walkway along the Moscow River.


Speaking of the Moscow River, this was what the river looked like when I walked to the park. 


It's still pretty cold here, by most standards, but the past few days have been a bit warmer than usual. Here's a picture I took of the Moscow River about a week later:


I've been trying to scope out some fun places to go with the family when they get here. The Moscow Zoo looks like fun!


Here's a view of one of Stalin's Seven Sisters, a series of skyscrapers built under the direction of Stalin after WWII. I took this picture from Old Arbat street, a popular street for tourists to visit for all the street vendors and cafes.

 
There are several large malls in Moscow. I'm sure my wife will feel right at home! Here's the view from the top floor of the European mall at Kyivskaya. (The fountain actually tells the time - you can see that it's about 2:30 in the picture)


 Another mall at the Vystovichnaya metro station had some enormous Matryoshka dolls!


My last stop was ВДНХ (or VDNKh). The name is an acronym in Russian for the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy. There is a huge park with pavilions and statues, but I wasn't able to see all of it (another stop I'll have to revisit later). Here is a picture of the Monument to the Conquerors of Space, a monument celebrating all the achievements made by the Russian space program. 


So that's what I've been up to for the past few weeks. I'll try to make the most of my time here, and who knows, maybe I'll bump into Edward Snowden somewhere around town!

hulka

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments: