Children are the Victims of Adult Vices

1:13 PM 3 Comments

I decided to get out of the apartment for a while today, so I took the metro to the center of Moscow and went for a walk. I always love seeing the different art at each metro station. I can't remember which station this was at, but I think it was Novokuznetskaya (новокузнецкая).


I think the best part of my walk was listening to the street musicians. I saw people playing guitar, violin, and accordion today.


Since it is Sunday, I thought I would check out a few of the cathedrals in the area. This one is called St. Clement's Church (храм священномученика климента). The churches are incredibly beautiful on the inside, but I didn't want to disturb the people inside by taking any pictures.


Crossing the Moscow River on the Luzhkov Bridge, I got to see some "love locks" like the ones in France. I'm guessing many of these were put here on Valentine's Day.



This one says: "You and I Forever."


I guess when the trees on the bridge fill up they're moved over to the walkway along the river. There must have been dozens of them.


As you walk into the park there's an enormous monument to the Russian painter Ilya Repin.


Eventually I found what I was looking for: "Children are the Victims of Adult Vices." I guess the idea here is that each sculpture represents a different vice that children can fall victim to. The centerpiece of the display is Indifference.


Starting on the left we have: Drug Addiction, Prostitution, Theft, and Alcoholism.


Next to Alcoholism we have Ignorance and Irresponsible Science (Pseudoscience).


Here we have Indifference, Propaganda of Violence, Sadism, and For Those Without Memory (Capitol Punishment).


On the end we have Child Labor, Poverty, and War.


Despite the disturbing statues, it was a nice Sunday walk; clear blue skies, sun shining. Hopefully it won't be long before my family can join me out here for some more exploring!


hulka

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

3 comments:

  1. The War statue is pretty scary, what a depressing theme. It looks like everyone was watching you take your picture of the accordion guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the theme is pretty gloomy. Apparently the statues were pretty controversial when they were unveiled. I don't know if you can see the bomb in the war statue, but it has a Mickey Mouse head on it, which is a little messed up if you ask me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete