Welcome to Russia

8:54 AM 3 Comments

Hi everyone! A lot of people have been asking me about my trip to Moscow, so I thought a blog might be a good way to keep everyone informed. Feel free to stay in touch with me through email and Skype. My information is on the "Contact Me" tab.

I'm in Moscow teaching English for a company called Novel English. You can access their website on the "Novel English" tab above.

A taxi picked me up at the airport and drove me across town to my apartment. The experience was horrifying. I felt like I was living one of those crazy Russian Dash Cam Videos from YouTube.

I'm not much of a writer, but I've taken some pictures of the area around my apartment, so I'll just post the pictures with a short description. Our apartment is in the North-West corner of Moscow, in the Mitino District. We live near the Mitino metro station (circled on the map below).


They say the Mitino station is a "sleeper" station; meaning that the area is full of apartments. The apartments are pretty old and dirty, but they're not as run down as I was expecting. Here's a picture of the entrance to our building:


The buildings are all over 20 stories high. Here's another view looking up to our apartment (ours is on the 4th floor):


We have a pretty nice view from our balcony:


Our refrigerator here is about half the size of our refrigerator back home. I'll have to do a post sometime about some of the cool foods they have at the grocery store.


It's only a few minutes to the metro station from our apartment. Most of the stairs in Moscow are stroller-accessible. (There's also graffiti all over the place).


There are so many cars here that parking can become a problem sometimes. Drivers have to get creative sometimes, parking up on the sidewalk (either fully or partially).


Getting around by metro is pretty easy. This is one of the entrances to our station; it says, "Moscow Metropolitan Mitino Station."


The metro stations are all really nice. You just swipe your card here to get in.


Here's a look down the stairs to our station.


This is a shopping center near our apartment. The big sign on the top says "Mitino" and underneath it says something like "Deli Standard." The big beaver says something like, "I Beaver" on its shirt. I think it might be one of the restaurants in the shopping center, but I'm not sure.


There are a few familiar fast food restaurants around here. These Golden Arches are right across the street from our apartment complex. I haven't been there yet because I'm afraid they'll ask me to Supersize or something and I won't be able to understand them.


We were able to order some Papa John's the other night. I was really impressed by how close it was to the Papa John's in the US; they even had the pepper and garlic sauce. I think it's funny that they use the apostrophe still, even though there are no apostrophes in Russian.


Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you'd like to see me post about. Hopefully I'll be able to track down Edward Snowden before I leave!

hulka

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you decided to do this. The kids and I can visit Russia vicariously thru you and stay Warm in AZ:-D stay safe, you're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have been to your apartments! Who knows, they may all look the same hahaha! Seriously man this almost made me cry bringing back memories! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys like the blog. Thanks for the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete